Monday, July 23, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



Greetings from Alaska! 
Welcome to another edition of 
Inspiration Cafe!

It's me again, Mary, from Sweet Little Bluebird...




 I'm in Anchorage visiting my sister's family. 
She is busy wife and mom to five very active, hungry boys!

My sister's favorite place to be is the kitchen.   
She is easily the best baker and cook I know!
Whenever you visit, you NEVER go hungry.
Her home runs like a Bed & Breakfast! 

While I'm here visiting, I thought I'd take advantage and 
share something she whipped up in the kitchen.

Today I'm featuring her famous 
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie! 


Before I get to the recipe, 
I wanted to share my sister's kitchen remodel done last year...
(They did not DIY)

Before:




After:




This is such a fun kitchen to cook in!
..........................................................................................................................

Okay, back to the Pie...

My sister has rhubarb in her garden she picked to make the pie.  
I don't know much about rhubarb, 
but I have never seen rhubarb this HUGE in my life! 


As you can see from the photos above, things grow BIG in Alaska!
There was so much rhubarb, my sister made two pies with tons to spare!


On with the recipe...for ONE pie.

You'll want to start with the crust first.


9 Inch Pie Crust (two crust pie recipe)
Ingredients (Our grandma's recipe, perfect crust every time!)
2 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
2/3 C Shortening
6 tbsp of Ice water (very important)

Directions
Mix flour, salt and shortening with two knives, cutting into the dough until it resembles small peas/crumbs.  Add the ice water and mix gently until dough is formed.  Divide into two equal balls.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.  Roll out crusts on floured surface. 


(Once your crust is ready, set aside and start to make your pie filling)

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie 
(Adapted recipe from Joy of Cooking - 1997 edition)
2 1/2 C Strawberries, sliced
2 1/2 C Rhubarb, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1 C Sugar, plus extra tsp. to decorate crust
Zest of one orange
1/4 C Quick-cooking tapioca
Dash of Salt
1 - 2 tbsp Butter (use real butter)

*For Rhubarb Pie, replace the strawberries with 2 1/2 cups of rhubarb.

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. 

Mix the first six ingredients in bowl.  Set aside for 15 minutes. Line the pie plate with the bottom crust and fill with the rhubarb mixture.  Slice the butter and dot the pie mixture (see picture below).  Cover with top crust, fold and pinch seams together.  Brush crust lightly with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar. Cut at least four slits into top of pie to vent while baking.    

Bake at 425F for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F for an additional 30-35 minutes.  Be sure to place a cookie sheet or foil on the rack beneath the pie, the juices will likely bubble over!

Remove and cool. This pie is best served warm with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream!
 



This was my youngest's first time ever having rhubarb... 
She loved it so much, she had second slice!


Thanks for much for stopping by Inspiration Cafe!

Be sure to stop by next Monday!

Cheers!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment