Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sunglasses Case Tutorial - Clippie Dips

Hi all! Amy from Clippie Dips here again! :) 

Now that I live in Texas, I use my sunglasses year 'round. Yes, even in the winter! Because of that, of course I had to make a cute little case to carry them around in! How could I not?! :) Today I'm going to show you how to make your own!


Supplies:

fabric scraps
felt scraps
sewing machine
rotary cutter and mat (optional)
scissors
thread

Cut (2) exterior fabric pieces 4” x 8”.
Cut (2) interior felt pieces 4” x 8”.
Cut (2) fusible fleece 3 ¾” x 7 ¾”.
**If you wear really large frames, you may want to measure your own sunglasses**

Iron fleece onto the wrong side of your exterior fabric pieces. 

Now is the time to embellish it the way you want. You all know how much I LOVE banners, so I cut out mini triangles, placed them on the front making sure to keep them inside the seam line. Then I pinned them and sewed them on.
Place exterior pieces right sides together and sew with a scant ¼” seam as shown.
Clip your corners and turn it right side out. Then set it aside.

Now, take your interior felt pieces and place them right side together. This time when we sew, we’re going to leave a 3” gap on the side as shown.  Sew as shown. Then, clip corners.
Take your exterior case piece and slip it inside the interior piece as shown.
Match up the seams and make sure it's even across the top and pin.
Sew all the way around the top with a ¼” seam, backstitching at the beginning and end.  This part can be tricky but thankfully it’s a short distance to sew. Go slowly!
Reach into the gap you left for turning, and pull the exterior out through the opening.
Pin the opening closed and sew as close to the edge as possible.
Push the lining down into your new sunglasses case! ALL DONE! Super easy, right?!


These are so quick to make and there are so many ways to embellish them! I know you're going to have so much fun making these! :)


5 comments:

  1. How fun! Love the little banner, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! wondering if I made one for the husband if he would actually use it and not lose his sunglasses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute. I will have to share this with my daughter so she can make some. This case would make a great Christmas present. Do you sell them on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours is so much nicer than the faux brown leather case that came with my prescription glasses. Very cute and love the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I might have that same faux brown leather case you're talking about! haha I think that's what inspired me to make something prettier!

    And Mary, no I don't sell them on Etsy! I recently went back to work and I don't have enough time to sew anything anymore! Sad face!

    ReplyDelete