Thursday, November 21, 2013

Homemade Lavender Peppermint Body Scrub - Grace Grits and Gardening

lavender peppermint body scrub
This is my favorite body scrub made with ingredients from my kitchen and garden. Quick and easy, this homemade lavender and peppermint body scrub makes great gifts and will keep for weeks without refrigerating.

...not that it will last that long...

Ingredients

1 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1/2 tablespoon ground fresh lavender
5-6 drops peppermint essential oil
1 cup granulated sugar

Method

Melt coconut oil in microwave.

Mix sugar, lavender and essential oil into coconut oil.

Drizzle grapeseed oil and mix. The grapeseed oil gives the scrub a slight sea green tint. (not that obvious in the picture)

Pour into small containers.
I'm using my Grace Grits travel candle tins (empty after burning the candle down) 
Let harden for a few hours.

The scrub's thick, rich consistency is perfect for using in the bath or shower, and the peppermint oil and lavender combines with steam to open sinuses. This is a great way to start or end your day.

talya

Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life



14 comments:

  1. LOVE this! Could you use lavender essential oil if you don't have fresh? And where did you get the little jars in the first picture? I love giving homemade gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can use lavender essential oil - sometimes I do that too! The little jars came from Target…I bought them years ago but I bet they still have something similar.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a heavenly combination. I am scared of making soaps and scrubs..but I might just have to give this a try. Sounds too good not to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can't go wrong. I made another batch this morning with only sugar, grape seed oil and peppermint essential oil. Easy.

      Delete
  3. It must smell heavenly good and it could make a great Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to make some sugar scrubs last year at Christmas and they turned out okay, wondering if coconut oil works better than the olive my recipe called for. Gonna give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the coconut oil because once it sets its more like a balm. You can adjust the amount of sugar and oil to the consistency you desire.

      Delete
  5. Peppermint is so invigorating! Perfect for a scrub! Way to go Talya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delightful..I'll bet this smell is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are the essential oils safe for anyone to use?

    ReplyDelete