Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Junkin Jewels - Tuula from The Thrifty Rebel

Tea Cups and Classic Rock - A Match Made in Wonderland


I'm so thrilled to be here at the Inspiration Cafe as part of the Junkin' Jewels series. I'm Tuula, and I blog over at The Thrifty Rebel.

When it comes to projects there's almost nothing I love better than repurporsing something... giving it a new life as something completely different.

Tea anyone?






When I saw this box of 34 vintage teacups and saucers at my local thrift store... how could I possibly resist? Like any self respecting junker I had faith that I would someday think of something to do with them.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Well... time passes fast, and several months later that box of teacups was still sitting in my greenhouse/studio... mocking me... daring me to turn them into something. Anything!!!

Finally... last week when I was spending some time in there checking out my stash it came to me... and I got so excited that I had to start right away.

They have England engraved on their bottoms, and at first glance these teacups look rather unremarkable. (I was tempted to make a wreath out of them). But as we all know, first impressions can be deceiving... because...


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


TA DA!!!!


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Sometime over the winter I'll have to figure out what to do with the 34 saucers.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


But for now ... it's all about the teacups. Aren't the colours fabulous? And so unexpected!


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Also in my greenhouse I had this set of thrifted ivory coloured planters. They look delicate, but they're made out of heavy duty metal and are very strong. They passed Miss Pixie's inspection.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Here's what the larger one looked like this past summer.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


I tried the larger one on the lamp for size and it fit beautifully. It makes a perfect lampshade.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


I cut myself twenty pieces of jute twine about 20" long...


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


borrowed the guest room lamp base because I needed something to hang the lampshade on while I worked...

turned up the volume on some classic Lynyrd Skynyrd, courtesy of You Tube, and started tying up the teacups... one by one.

Each one double knotted... finishing with a little jute bow, and changing sides as I went along to keep it all from tumbling down.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


And I tied while I listened to 'Simple Man'.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


And I tied to 'Sweet Home Alabama'.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Until I finished.. half way through 'Free Bird'. One of my faves of all time.

And then I had to sit through the rest of the 13 minute musical phenomenon... completely mesmerized and fabulously lost in the past, and feeling just like a free, free bird. 


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Writing this now just made me have to go back and watch it again. Classic rock and junk makeovers go together like fine wine and cheese. Yummm!

Anyhoo... I digress.

The next day I hunted through my stash for a roll of thrifted lace, and wove it through the heavy wire slats. I found myself some classic CCR to weave to. Over and under, over and under.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


And I wove to 'Have Your Ever Seen the Rain'.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


And I wove to 'I Heard it Through the Grapevine'.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Until I was done during 'Bad Moon Rising'.

I alternated how I did each section because I thought 8 bows would be a little too much. The lace is just to lessen the glare of the light bulb a little.

It was still missing something though. So once again I dove into my stashes, and I came up with this silver toned tea pot.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


I drilled a hole through the bottom, starting with a small metal bit and working my way up to slightly larger bits until my hole was just the right size.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


I spray painted it gold, and put it on its rightful place on the top of the lampshade. The lamp finial is screwed on inside the teapot.



how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


Here are some pics of the brass lamp, with the lampshade it came with that I didn't like, from when I thrifted it last summer.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade

how-to-make-teacup-lampshade

how-to-make-teacup-lampshade

how-to-make-teacup-lampshade

how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


I wasn't even sure I was going to keep it, but here it is now with its 'Wonderland' lampshade... complete with teacup fringe. 


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


And it's most definitely a keeper. 


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade


It graces a corner in my master bedroom.


how-to-make-teacup-lampshade

This lamp may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's so right for this classic rock chick with a junker's heart and a soul full of whimsy.

'And this bird you cannot change'.

I have to say that there are moments in this life that make me wonder where my inner child has gone, and projects like this remind me that I haven't lost her... that she's still here. I hope I never see the world through adult eyes only, because I think I would miss sooo much.

Thanks so much for letting me, and my inner child, visit with you today. We still have 14 teacups and 34 saucers to play with! Yay!!!

Spread some whimsy somewhere today... and smile! :)





40 comments:

  1. Be still my heart! Tuula you ROCKED this!!! Your creativity is going into overload!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gail! I think maybe I've been drinking too much tea. lol.

      Delete
  2. Those cups a fabulous and so is your lamp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! I couldn't believe my luck when I found those cups. I've never seen anything like them before.

      Delete
  3. So amazingly awesome Tuula! You are the rockinest! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Danni! And thanks so much for having me at the cafe. I'm so honoured to be a Junkin' Jewel. IC rocks!!!

      Delete
  4. Your inner rock goddess has been set free! WOW! The teacup shade is fantastic on that lamp base. You have out-achieved this over-achiever by miles. I will never look at another teacup without seeing this in my mind and humming rock anthems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna! Music does help get me inspired, and I hope you know that I've learned a lot about junkin' from you. I'm proud to be your Junkin' Jewel Sister.

      Delete
  5. Love it! What a surprise to see the insides of those cups! Couldn't have come up with a better use for them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia! When I first saw them in the box at the thrift store I almost passed them by, but I took a closer look and then, of course, I had no choice but to bring them home with me.

      Delete
  6. Can't You Here Me Knockin...? To tell you your new lamp is rockin!!! So creative and cool, Tuula. I love how you shared your creative process, as well! ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! I'm not sure how much of a process it is though because I'm usually flying by the seat of my pants. lol.

      Delete
  7. Tuula that is gorgeous! Those cups, my goodness what a find, max is on my lap and say drink light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's sooo cute Mel! From now on, every time I turn on the light I'm going to think of Max. It will now be known as the drink light. I love that!

      Delete
  8. Oh, wow! What a wonderful transformation! I love it! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Marci!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...don't come round tonight you're bound to lose your life...there's a bad moon...yup love ccr and think I need to listen to more classic rock to help me with my inspiration. Too too clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another CCR fan! Music does inspire me, and I'm often listening to some of my faves when I'm playing in my craft room.

      Delete
  11. ...don't come round tonight you're bound to lose your life...there's a bad moon...yup love ccr and think I need to listen to more classic rock to help me with my inspiration. Too too clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a fun lamp. So whimsical. Those teacups are so cute with their colors!! You really are the queen of creativeness!! .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen! I like to have a little whimsy in every room. For me it just makes decorating more fun.

      Delete
  13. So cute, Tuula! What a fun lampshade and it looks great on the lamp. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! The lamp was almost going to be sold because I hadn't found a new lamp shade for it. Then I found the teacups, and now I'm so happy with it.

      Delete
  14. Love the lamp and the teacup wreath too. I love teacups and saucers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Carlene! I'm still looking for one more piece of the puzzle for a project for the rest of the teacups. I still have no idea what I'm going to do with the saucers, but time will tell.

      Delete
  15. Wowzer, that's the most creative lamp I ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maureen! It was such a fun project, and I'm really enjoying using the lamp now. It just makes me smile.

      Delete
  16. Sweet pastel colors inside the cups - hooray! I'm a sucker for floor lamps, but this one is worthy of Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Tea Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love floor lamps too, and I really lucked out when I found these teacups. I never know what treasures I'll find on any given day of thrifting. That's why it's such fun.

      Delete
  17. Love the colours in those cups, what a cute and creative idea !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! I couldn't believe it when I saw the colours underneath the piled teacups in the box. It was my lucky day that's for sure.

      Delete
  18. Tuula what a fantastic, gorgeous creation! Wow the colours of those teacups...what a find!!!! Love LOVE LOVE this!!!! xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Natalie! I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Just seeing it every time I walk into the bedroom makes me happy... even after a busy day at work. For me that's what decorating is all about.

      Delete
  19. I love that everything you do has such beautiful and vibrant color. Great unexpected use of thrifted treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! I really couldn't believe my luck when I found these teacups. That's pretty much why I go to the thrift shop every day on my lunch break. They weren't there the day before I bought them, and I doubt very much that they would have been there the day after. The good things go very fast.

      Delete
  20. Wow!!! So adorable, so cool!!! You rock, Tuula!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary! I owe it all to these awesome teacups. I've never seen anything like them before, and to find so many was such a bonus..

      Delete