Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's a Steal ~ Mary "Knocks Off" Danni

Hi Everyone! 

It's Mary from Sweet Little Bluebird,
I'm so happy to be sharing at the Cafe today!

On behalf of the IC girls, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!
We'd also like to wish our sweet friend, Danni, a very happy birthday!
Cheers!

.........................

Last week we started a new series, "It's a Steal"...where we "steal" or 
"knock off" a fellow blogger's idea and show you what we come up with. 


 Natalie kicked off the series, knocking off my Breakfast Muffins!  
This week it's my turn to knock off Danni from Silo Hill Farm.  

Danni has so many great things to steal from,
 it was hard to decide what to do, so I did two!  
One is a knockoff and the other is an inspiration.  

My Knock Off,

I have been wanting to make this for months!

What I love most about this recipe...
Only 4 ingredients!!!  

{Click here for the recipe and Danni's post}


Here is my knockoff...


Okay, let me tell you how yummy this stuff is... 
YUMMMMMMY!!!
If it were sold in stores, I'd buy a grocery cart full! 
This stuff is so good, that for breakfast-in-bed on Mother's Day, 
this is what I requested...the yummy spread on a toasted bagel.  

{Great on crackers, bagels, bread, turkey sandwiches, spoons and fingers.}  

Maple Cranberry Spread Recipe

1 8oz. pkg. Cream Cheese, softened 
1/2 C. Dried Cranberries
1/3 C. Maple Syrup
1/4 C. Chopped, Toasted Pecans

In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients with an electric mixer.  Cover and refrigerate several hours.
Makes 1-1/2 Cups




I can't wait to share this recipe with my family and friends! 
Thanks for the great steal, Danni! 

.......................................

Next up, 
My Inspiration...



A couple of weeks ago, Danni made a great Oriole Bird Feeder!  
If you haven't read her post, you should head over and see what 
the feeder is made from!  Danni is so clever! 

Danni always amazes me with her creativity.   
What most people would throw away, 
she creates art and great things like this!

I happen to be a big backyard birder,
 so I thought I'd try to make my own bird feeder out 
of things I had lying around the house, not being used. 
I'm no Danni (trust me), but I did my best! 

After going through the kitchen, I found an old dish
and mason jar that hadn't been used in years. 

I used dowel caps to elevate the lid of the mason jar, 
securing them with Tiger Bond adhesive to the dish and the lid. 
I discarded the seal to the jar, leaving it open, 
for the food to flow out of the bottom. 


I forgot to take pictures of the next steps, but it's pretty simple.
Once the adhesive is dry, fill your mason jar with food, take the dish 
and place it on top and screw it on.  Flip it back over...
and your bird feeder is all set!

This isn't the prettiest bird feeder,
but I don't think the birds mind. 

Now if I can keep the squirrels from breaking it...

Start thinking of who and what you want to knock off, for our next Link Party!   
But be sure to ask permission where necessary and always provide link backs.

Next week it's Heather's turn... 
we are so excited to see what she comes up with!


Take care and have a great week, don't forget to follow us on Facebook,



Inspiration Cafe is looking for guest posters. If you would like to guest please let us know, we would love to have you. If you would prefer a feature instead, feel free to drop us a line.  
New or old posts welcome.

14 comments:

  1. What a great bird feeder idea! I hear you on having squirrels with jerk-like tendencies. They're the reason why I don't have any bird feeders out right now. Love your knock-offs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! The squirrels took over within 30 minutes! Ugh!!!

      Delete
  2. I am just sitting here totally stunned!! Mary, I wondered what you would do, but neither of these projects occurred to me. How fun and what a great job you did. I'm glad you liked that maple cranberry spread...now I want some! I am loving the bird feeder! I have never made a bird seed feeder and now you have given me a plan! Mason jars are used for everything, but this is a killer project! Love it and I'm pleasantly surprised at your knock-off choices. Well done! You are awesome girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni, Thank you and thanks for great ideas for steals! I have been wanting to make that spread since you shared it on IC! I love it! I've had it on an English muffin the last few days for breakfast. So so good! And the bird feeder...well you and I have the same love for backyard birds. Wish we had orioles! I saw my first hummingbird this week, zip by my kitchen window. I'm waiting to see the bright summer, HAPPY yellow of the male goldfinches! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!!! ????

      Delete
  3. That spread looks delish! And the bird feeder is fantastic Mary! Love love love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You need to try the spread....oh my - so good!!!

      Delete
  4. Great spin on making a bird feeder! I love it! The spread looks wonderful! Danni is such an inspiration. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marci! Danni is the best - so many ideas to steal from!

      Delete
  5. That bird feeder is amazing Mary! Fabulous idea and a great steal from Danni! Mason jars are so versatile, but I never would have thought of this. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Tuula! I love mason jars too, they are so versatile!

      Delete
  6. I want to make both of these! I want to make the bird feeder with my kids and I want to eat the spread...by myself in the tub, on a bagel, with a romance novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you with your bagel and novel! :) The spread is so good! I plan on making it again this weekend. This time I plan to use reduced fat cream cheese - I think it will still be fabulous! I know you'll love it! The bird feeder is so simple to make, you and your girls would have fun making one!

      Delete
  7. Two great knock-offs! Wonderful job, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donna! I had a lot of fun "knocking off" Danni!

      Delete