Sunday, May 26, 2013

"IT'S A STEAL" SERIES - DANNI BREAKS INTO MELLYWOOD'S MANSION!

Danni here from Silo Hill Farm and it's my turn to steal an idea   and do a knock-off.  Lucky me because I'm stealing from Mel at Mellywoods Mansion.  I've knocked off Mel before, because she's awesome and has so many great ideas!  Truth is, I knew right away which project I wanted to do because I had planned it a long time ago, but just never got around to it!  
Mel made this Pretty Money Box Makeover last year....
Don't you love them?  And who doesn't want a pretty way to save a little cash?  I wanted to make one of these to replace the jar that we have on our bedroom dresser that Sam and I keep throwing change in.  Of course, I wanted to incorporate some of the things that Mel loves, such as.......
SPARKLE

BLACK AND WHITE

RUFFLEY AND FLUFFY

BOTTLE CAPS

AND A LITTLE BLING!
Hmmmmmm.....Mel likes a lot of things! 
(All of the above awesome projects can be found on Mel's gallery and you can get there by clicking HERE)
Can I make this project using a little bit of all of these things and still have it be tasteful, useful and fun?  I gave it my best shot....
Now I have my own bank for change...minus the slot!  I will say this, it is really hard to get a good picture of something that's black and white striped, blingy and tall!  However, I loved the triangular shape of the container I had.  Can you guess what it used to be?
Yep...a box that contained a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year Scotch.  Life is short people...drink the good stuff!!  Here are the rest of the supplies I used for this knock-off:
Tall container, bottle caps, double stick tape, black tulle, polka dot ribbon, black felt, black and white scrapbook paper, stick-on gems.  Not pictured...hot glue gun.
I used hot glue to attach the paper to the container.  No-brainer there.
To make the tulle flower in the middle, I followed a tutorial from a good friend of Mel's,  Amy at While Wearing Heals.  You can find that tutorial HERE.  I attached it with a little hot glue.
Again using hot glue, I attached one of the bottle caps to the top of the can.  (Hey Mel!  I did NOT choose the cap with the chevron stripe on it!)
Then I just blinged the whole thing out with some stick on gems, which may be a little over the top, but it's a little bit of everything Mel likes and I like it because it reminds me of her!
Mel, thank you for the inspiration and thank you for being such a good friend!  I wouldn't want to go through the blog world without ya girl!  
Go check out Mels pretty money boxes HERE and browse around her blog for awhile and get some inspiration of your own.
Next week....Mel's going to be stealing one of Heather's project ideas and putting her own spin on it.  You won't want to miss it!

If you've got a knock-off project, be sure to come back to the Cafe and link it up on June 10th at our "It's A Steal" link party.  If you don't....get busy and get one going....you've still got 2 weeks!  (Please don't forget to get permission and use proper link backs!)

28 comments:

  1. Danni, what a great job you've done! This has Mel written all over it and I think it turned out so cute. What an amazing steal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Danni,

    This is way better than mine, I simply love love love it. Although I think I may love too many things, I am delighted that you didn't use the chevron button LOL. you shall soon see how much I love polka dots anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cute! Can I have the leftover Scotch?? :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Danni! You and Mel are so talented - like how you added a little something of all Mel's favorites here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it - a very classy way to keep all that loose change together!

    Mel and I have very similar tastes - a bit of bling, then I'm in! Lol!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post Danni - you guys are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy, by the time that bank is full you'll be able to travel to Europe... for months!

    Cute project Danni, have a great day xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, how fun! I love both the inspiration (who doesn't love Mel?!) and the knock-off. Great job, Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great steal and knock of Danni! Haha, that you didn't use chevron, but loving the bling! Hey, if I leave some change, can I take the scotch?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did Mel very proud with this knock off! I love it and I'm pinning it so I can steal it from you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! And I drink the cheap stuff...because I like it better! (Except for Jack Daniels. Have to have that!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent re-use of that way-too-nice-to-toss container. Love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How adorable, and so Mel!! Black, white, fluffy, blingy... what a perfect knock-off!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. Good thing my husband loves Glenfiddich. That will definitely make things easier for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute and of course, my favorite color combination, plus bling! Great job, Danni!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great project. Can be used for so many things. Love the knock off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! The repurposing of things are one of my favourite blog topics to read. I also love that the scotch was included in the picture of supplies. Did it help along the creative process? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just amazing Danni! How you managed to incorporate so many of Mel's favourite things to come up with this I'll never know. Great knock off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great steal!! You did an amazing job and I love your color pallete Danni! Mel really is an inspiration, as are you! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a great job, and Mel's a good person to steal from, the ideas in her mansion really are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Danni, This is a great steal! I love Mel's and I love yours! So smart too, because you are right, we end up with little piles of change everywhere! Maybe it would add up some day if saved in one these!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those sticky rhinestones! So cute.. Great "steal" Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's gorgeous Danni - and I LOVE the bling!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would say, you did Mel proud. This turned out adorable. Did you finish off that bottle while you made it :). Thanks for the shout out with the flower as well. You certainly made something pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Danni I LOVE yours and Mel's banks! BEAUTIFUL! I'll be over to share some scotch with you to help you prepare for you next project. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's awesome Danni! I love the bling, and you can't go wrong with black and white :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute. I love the black and white and I love the idea of throwing the extra change in it. I need to get back to doing that. Great knock off.

    ReplyDelete